This recipe tastes better than it looks and sounds. It’s a simple vegetarian chili, that’s really satisfying, and if you skip the cheese, it can serve as hearty vegan meal. I had something similar to this at a restaurant a few months back, and this is my rendition. While tofu is not the most appealing ingredient, it adds a nice heft and texture to this chili. I ate 2 small bowls of it, and I woke up still full in the morning. You definitely don’t have to worry about going hungry with this as your dinner. You can pick and choose from the spices listed below, depending on your tastes. I used all of them, and a lot of them. I tend to like robustly flavored food. The only thing I wish I had added was a touch of brown sugar for balance. Not much to else say about this one besides the fact that is tasty, satisfying, and healthy. Try it, you’ll like it.
Vegetarian Chili with Tofu and Eggplant
(makes roughly 6-8 servings)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 6-8 oz. diced mushrooms
- 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 14 oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 14oz. great northern beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 small can diced green chilies (hot or mild, depending on preference)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (let them defrost a bit while you cook)
- 1 package of medium-firm tofu (wrapped in a clean kitchen towel, placed in between 2 plates, weighted down with a large can of something to drain for 15-20 minutes)
- Other veg options: red bell pepper, diced (added with eggplants) or 1 large zucchini, diced (added with tomatoes, tofu, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½-1 teaspoon coriander
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt, pepper, Bragg’s liquid aminos, soy sauce
- Avocado and shredded cheese for garnish
- In a large soup pot, sauté one onion in olive oil and butter over medium heat for 5-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add eggplant and mushrooms to the pan (bell pepper, if using). Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 8-10 minutes until soft. Add garlic during last 2 minutes of cooking
- Add spices to taste (see above for guidelines): chili powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, cayenne, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add one 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes with juice, 1 can Great Northern white beans, 1 can black beans, 1 small can hot diced green chilies, 1 cup frozen corn kernels, 1 diced zucchini, and 1 package of crumbled and pressed medium-firm or firm tofu.
- Stir and season with soy sauce and/or Bragg’s liquid aminos. Simmer for 10 minutes, and taste for seasoning. Add additional spices, if desired.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot, and garnish with avocado and shredded cheese
October 10, 2016